Purpose of the Award
The Health Care Worker of the Year Award recognizes and honors the excellence of health care workers statewide. Each Kansas Hospital Association member hospital is encouraged to recognize one employee who has made a significant contribution to the betterment of their hospital.
The Health Care Worker of the Year Award was established by the Kansas Hospital Association Board in 2013. The award recognizes individuals who routinely go above and beyond the call of duty.
Each hospital is asked to nominate ONE (1) individual. Health systems may make ONE (1) nomination on behalf of each of their hospitals, or select ONE (1) nominee to represent the entire system, but are encouraged to designate the hospitals in which the nominee primarily works.
Eligible individuals must be current employees of a Kansas Hospital Association member hospital. Nominees should demonstrate the following characteristics: leadership, teamwork, dedication and perseverance. The employee should be a role model for other staff and their work should reflect the values and mission of the hospital.
Nominations are submitted online, and a photograph of the nominee is required. All nominees will be recognized. Nominations are reviewed by a committee of past KHA award recipients. The committee will recommend the statewide awards to be given. The committee’s recommendation is presented to the Executive Committee of the KHA Board of Directors for approval.
Award Presentation and Recognition
All nominees will be recognized at the KHA Convention, in publications and on the Web site. Selected nominees will be recognized as the Health Care Worker of the Year. They will be honored by: Receipt of the Health Care Worker of the Year Award; Cash award of $500; Recognition at the Kansas Hospital Association Convention; Coverage in KHA publications and on the KHA Web site; and media announcements of the award.
Nominations will be accepted online until 11:59 p.m. on June 1. For additional information, call KHA at (785) 233-7436.
- March – Call for nominations
- June 1 – Nominations are due
- June – Nominations reviewed by committee
- July – Recommendation presented to the Executive Committee for approval
- September – Awardee(s) honored at KHA Annual Convention
Materials to Be Submitted
All nominations must be submitted electronically.
One corporate photograph of the nominee must be emailed to email@example.com. Photos should be an EPS, JPEG or TIFF file. Color photographs are preferred.
Questions on the online nomination form are:
1. In a brief description (250 words or less), please provide examples of how your nominee goes beyond the call of duty, is a great leader and/or a role model for other staff.
2. In a brief description (250 words or less), please describe how your nominee shows compassion, empathy and respect to patients, visitors and staff. How does your nominee promote an environment of cooperation and collaboration?
3. In a brief description (250 words or less), share the significant contribution(s) the nominee has made that benefited or improved the hospital. Feel free to describe other activities or reasons why this nominee should be considered, such as how your nominee gives back to the community and/or has overcome odds to succeed.
- Vicki Caywood, Hutchinson Regional Medical Center, Inc.
- Jolleen Palmer, Coffey County Hospital, Burlington
- Tammy Bird, MT, Meade District Hospital/Artesian Valley Health System
- Lisa Harrelson, RN, Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, 2015
- Virginia "Ginny" Adams, RN, Olathe Medical Center, Olathe
- Richard Allenbach, PA-C, Via Christi Hospital St. Francis, Wichita
- Marilyn Fry, Coffey County Hospital, Burlington
- Doug Molzahn, Phillips County Hospital, Phillipsburg
- Diana Bryant, Clinical Analyst, Wilson Medical Center, Neodesha
- Vickie Gaddis, Social Services Designee, Coffey County Hospital, Burlington