(Feb. 8, 2021) – The American Hospital Association 2021 Environmental Scan predicts 10 ways that COVID-19 may change health care permanently:
- Technology: Acceleration of telemedicine, acceleration of digital health options, and innovations with drones and robotics.
- Benefits: Expansion of health reimbursement arrangement for employees.
- Surgeries: New strategies for elective surgeries.
- Aides: Growth of home-health aides.
- Disparities: An increased focus on racial disparities.
- Drug Prices: A push for the government to negotiate drug prices.
- Supply Chain: Development of local supply chain sources and an increase in U.S. drug manufacturing.
- Preparedness: A new era of health care preparedness.
- Scope of Practice: Increase scope of practice for non-physicians.
- Payment for Value: New payment models and a continued shift away from fee-for-service.
Source: American Hospital Association. 2021 Environmental Scan. 2020. www.aha.org/environmentalscan.