Hospitals play a key role in emergency readiness throughout Kansas. As vital community resources, hospitals must be among the best prepared, alongside police, fire, rescue, and other public safety services.
Hospital Emergency Preparedness Program
Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) administers the Individual Hospital Grants and Regional Planning Hospitals subsidies. In partnership with the KDHE, KHERF assists with the planning of the National Hospital Preparedness Program. Every hospital is eligible to apply for the Individual Hospital Grant funds, for more information on Hospital Grants and Regional Planning is located on KDHE's web-site.
Standardized Overhead/Emergency Codes
As staff often work in multiple facilities, codes that trigger emergency protective and response steps should be standardized to help insure quick action. A customizable toolkit is available:
Emergency Preparedness Links
KHA has prepared a Mutual Aid Agreement for Kansas hospitals. Kansas community hospitals and many other health care facilities have signed statewide Mutual Aid Agreements.
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) - www.ksprepared.org
- The Kansas Trauma System Overview - KDHE
- EMResource/EMSystem - www.emsystem.com
- The American Hospital Association (AHA) - Special "Disaster Readiness" section includes statements, advisories, talking points, articles and other related links - http://www.aha.org/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - for resources on public health emergency preparedness - http://www.hhs.gov/?
- The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology - Bioterrorism resources, including readiness plans, checklists and agent fact sheets - http://www.apic.org/
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Public health emergency preparedness, responses, related materials and announcements - http://www.cdc.gov/
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - Emergency planning resources and disaster news - www.fema.gov
- Johns Hopkins University Center for Civilian Biodefense Studies - Bioterrorism preparedness and response information; BT agent background information and diagnostic criteria and treatment guidelines - http://hopkins-biodefense.org/%20Bioterrorism
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), Health Alert Network - Resources and links regarding KDHE's bioterrorism planning and response efforts - www.kdhe.state.ks.us
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of Emergency Preparedness (OEP) - Information on the National Disaster Medical System (NDMS), Counter Terrorism Program, agency contacts and related links - http://www.oep-ndms.dhhs.gov/
- The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) - Questions and Answers about anthrax prevention and treatment - http://www.os.dhhs.gov/
- The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) - Articles by the "Working Group on Civilian Biodefense" addressing anthrax, smallpox, plague, botulinum toxin and tularemia - www.jama.ama-assn.org
Questions regarding emergency preparedness issues can be addressed to Jeanie Clerico at email@example.com, or by calling the KHA office at (785) 233-7436.