Hospitals play a key role in emergency readiness throughout Kansas. As vital community resources, hospitals must be among the best prepared, alongside police, fire, rescue, and other public safety services.
Hospital Emergency Preparedness Program
KHERF administers the Community Hospital Grants and Regional Planning Hospitals subsidies in partnership with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. KHERF and the seven Regional Hospitals assist with the planning of the National Hospital Preparedness Program. Every hospital is eligible to apply for the Community Hospital Grant funds.
Standardized Overhead/Emergency Codes
As staff often work in multiple facilities, codes that trigger emergency protective and response steps should be standardized to help insure quick action. A customizable toolkit is available:
Emergency Preparedness Links
KHA has prepared a Mutual Aid Agreement for Kansas hospitals. Kansas community hospitals and many other health care facilities have signed statewide Mutual Aid Agreements.
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) - www.ksprepared.org
- EMResource/EMSystem - www.emsystem.com
- The American Hospital Association (AHA) - Special "Disaster Readiness" section includes statements, advisories, talking points, articles and other related links - http://www.aha.org/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - for resources on public health emergency preparedness - http://www.cdc.gov/
- The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology - Bioterrorism resources, including readiness plans, checklists and agent fact sheets - http://www.apic.org/
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Public health emergency preparedness, responses, related materials and announcements - http://www.cdc.gov/
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - Emergency planning resources and disaster news - www.fema.gov
- The Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, National Hospital Preparedness Program and related links - http://www.phe.gov/hpp
Questions regarding emergency preparedness issues can be addressed to Ron Marshall at (785) 276-3125.